Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Holy Crap.

Well, I made a huge mistake today. I watched a talk show (first mistake....) that focused on teen girls' "secret lives" and it scared the CRAP outta me. These girls looked like every day, All American, sweet girls that I would let babysit Corgan and they were hooked on major drugs, "pharming" (which is buying over the counter drugs like Nyquil and getting high on them), have multiple (like 40) sex partners, experimenting with bisexuality, posting nude pictures of themselves on the internet, you name it, these girls did it. The sad, sad thing is, the mothers had NO CLUE any of this was going on. Their daughters were getting high when they were TWELVE and they had no freakin clue. Where were the parents?! One of the most consistent things was the girls came from either single parent homes or both parents worked. The parents just weren't involved in their daughter's lives.

My ten year plan used to be to start going to school when my kid(s) were in school, become an RN and work full time. This show got me to thinking. What the heck would I do with my kid(s) when school was out? What about after school? How was I going to be actively involved in their lives? I've decided that my full time job is being a mommy. I want to be there on field trips to the zoo. I want to be a room mother. I want to bake cookies for bake sales and be there for the kid(s) when school is out for the day. How can I do that if I am focusing on a career and making more money?

I still plan to go to school and get my degree, and who knows, maybe eventually I'll work outside the home part time. Who knows. But my first priority is raising my children.

The show also made me realize that kids need a solid foundation to build from. I talked to Travis and we are going to start having family prayer before Corgan goes to bed every night. We are going to continue with Family Home Evening, going to church and are going to start reading the scriptures as a family. Fifteen years down the road I don't want Corgan to be sitting on a couch across from some talk show host, saying his mother was never there for him.

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box. My next blog will be more uplifting. Just had to get this off my chest.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»