Thursday, December 07, 2006

"I'll Never...."

Isn't it funny how when we're young and idealistic we look at other people in disgust and think, "Oh, I'll NEVER do that!" Here are some things I thought I'd NEVER do....

I'll never let my kid be a picky eater.... Corgan just ate three bites of sour cream for dinner. That's all he wanted. Wouldn't eat my homemade enchiladas, no. He wanted sour cream. So I gave it to him. Sigh.

I'll never let my kid scream in Wal-mart... Oh, please. Kids, screaming and Walmart go hand in hand. The other night I was pushing my cart through the aisles as Corgan screamed and cried, chunking his hearing aids at passers by and I just hummed a little tune in my head.

I'll never let my kid eat candy.... Oh, come on. He's so CUTE when he asks for "dee nee". How can you say no to that? Especially as I myself am shoving candy kisses in my mouth faster than you can say, "How DID I gain those last ten pounds?" And besides, he's saying please.

I'll never be a "frumpy" stay at home mom.... HA!!! The main staples in my wardrobe are t-shirts, workout pants and sneakers. With the hair in a pony tail (no more of that, though!) and makeup? Are you kidding? Who the heck has time?

I'll never let my kid drink soda... I'm a bad mother. I know. His teeth will rot out, I'm sure of it.

I'll never let my kid sleep with me... Ugh. Finally got rid of that little bed bug. After A YEAR AND A HALF.

I'll never bore people with talk about "how cute" my kid is.... As if I could resist. I mean, he's soooo cute! Like the other day, well, never mind.

I'll never make McDonald's/Wendy's/Burger King a main staple in my kid's diet... As if.

I think part of growing up and maturing is learning that "never" is something you should never say. Don't judge someone's parenting skills because you think you'd "NEVER" let your kid get away with that. I've learned that every child is different. Every child goes through different stages and phases. Each child has a unique personality with his or her own idiosyncrasies. You just have to pick your battles. If Corgan only wants sour cream for dinner, well then, he'll be hungry in an hour and then he'll eat. But I decided I want to make dinner time family time, not screaming death match time. And actually, as we speak he is eating a fistful of banana bread (thanks, Danielle!). That's healthy, right? Bananas, nuts, grains. It's all good!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for a good laugh. I can relate to each one of your nevers. I know better than to say I'll never because the minute I do .... that is typically when it happens.

Anonymous said...

oh yes banana bread is very healthy...eat it up.

the MILKY way (Chrissy) said...

I've learned that "Nevers" tend to bite us in the butt. Yeah, the frumpy mother...heh, heh, I'm the poster child (or poster mom). And Emily sleeps with us even though I said she wouldn't. *sigh*

You're funny, Kelly. I "never" thought you would be. JK. LOVE YOU!!!

Amanda said...

I LOVED that post Kelly!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!! I was rolling on the floor, and agree with every single thing you typed!!!!!! LOVE IT! Banana bread is considered VERY healthy to me!!!! Heck, I am the mom that lets my kids eat little debbie Christmas tree brownies for breakfast (okay, I eat them too!!!)

Mandie said...

AMEN, Kelly!!!

molly said...

Double Amen!! All Ty ate for dinner was a piece of bread (while running around the house) and a peach fruit cup. Never say never, lol!

Kelly said...

Hey, at least you got him to eat peaches. That's healthy!

Anonymous said...

This is a cute posting!

It was great meeting you too. I'm so glad we all got together. We'll for sure do it again next time I'm in town.