So I went to the doctor today for my 38 week checkup. I've lost a couple of pounds, which is pretty normal at this stage and he did an exam to see if I'm progressing at all. So the exam was taking a bit longer than usual and I asked him, "Are you stripping my membranes?!" He said, "Yep. That's exactly what I'm doing." It was a little weird (ok, more than a little) that he proceeded to do this without my consent. In fact, it really bothered me. I've been so relaxed with this pregnancy. I'm not watching the calendar and counting down the days to D-Day like I did with Corgan. And now he goes and tries to get labor going without even asking me first?! The good news is, if my body isn't ready to go into labor, it won't. The bad news is, I feel kind of violated. I mean, I've trusted this doctor and put complete faith in him, and I feel like I was really let down. I don't want to be a pain in the butt about it and throw a huge stink, because after all, what's done is done. But, I need to make it clear that I want to freaking KNOW what someone is going to do BEFORE they do it, not DURING. I don't think that's asking too much, do you?! Sheesh.
So, after all of this hooplah, I'm about two centimeters dialated and fifty percent effaced. I'll keep you all posted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Weird. And HOLY FREAK!
Kelly----I TOTALLY agree----I would NOT put up with that! But I am a very picky patient, and I know my rights! I have to say there were a few things that went on with Molly this time that I am not happy about---Molly however, still likes him a lot. But I will choose another Doc./midwife with my next pregnancy.
I agree with you. He shouldn't do anything without your consent first. If you don't go into labor before your next appointment, he'll probably try to do it again. I would make it clear to him what you do and don't want.
Really strange. I wouldn't like that at all!
Are you at all nervous about having a VBAC? I'm really interested to know how it goes for you. I'm planning a c-cection, but I secretly want to go into labor early so that I can have him naturally.
you need to let him know...my sister and I completely agree with you...that was wrong to do!
I'm not really nervous about having a VBAC... I'm more nervous about the labor itself!
Post a Comment