So here's the story! (What I can remember, anyway!)
We go into the hospital and I'm still having regular contractions about eight minutes apart. That's how it's been for about a week and a half with no progression. Apparently I wasn't technically "induced" since my cervix was about 70% effaced and one and a half centimeters dilated. We just needed a little pitocin to augment the labor and get things moving. Now, many of you know that Travis and I blame pitocin for our horrendous labor experience with Corgan. Corgan didn't tolerate it well at all and his heart rate kept going down during each contraction. Then stupid nurse increased the pit to 100 instead of a 10 (HUGE DIFFERENCE THERE), I had a ten minute contraction and was rushed back for the emergency c-section. So, needless to say, Travis and I were very leery of pit. But, they started me out really slow with only 2 and didn't ever have to increase! So all I needed was a little boost!
After an hour, Dr. Montanaro came in to break my water to put an intrauterine pressure device, which meant I was pretty much confined to the bed for the duration. I was really disappointed, but luckily I had my doula Barrie with me and we were able to get really creative with the bed and move around a lot. The contractions got a bit stronger, but were still tolerable. I couldn't open my eyes during a contraction, which was kind of weird, and I would just get really, really quiet. This went on for a few hours until the contractions were getting reallllllly uncomfortable. I asked for a little something to help take the edge off, and boy howdy. I was loopy! I kept falling asleep and vaguely remember Dr. Montanaro coming in and telling me I was at 6 and a half and if I wanted an epidural, I'd better get it now since the anesthesiologist was going to be busy with several c-sections. I looked at both of him (my eyes kept crossing) and told them that I was doing just great.
That's the last thing I remember before TRANSITION. I went from completely relaxed and loving life to SCREAMING and clawing at Travis and the bed. It was horrible. I was freaking out that my uterus was going to rupture, it hurt so bad. I was panicking, which let me tell you, isn't conducive for labor. My doula kept telling me to look at her and relax and I asked her if she wanted me to kick her. During each contraction I would say, "I can't do this! I can't do this! I need drugs!" Then Barrie would say, "Wait until the contraction is over before you make a decision." Again, I asked if she wanted to be kicked. I'd do it. Just dare me. Finally, I said, "GIVE ME THE EPIDURAL. NOW!" Barrie looked at Travis and said, "I don't think she's going to progress if she doesn't get this epidural." The nurse came in and said that the anesthesiologist had another patient before me. I cried.
Finally after what felt like a freaking eternity, the anesthesiologist came in to give me the blessed nectar of the gods. The nurse checked me and I was at a nine. I said, "I don't care. Give me the epidural." At least, that's what I meant. I think it was more like this, "AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! GIVE IT TO ME!!!!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I never even opened my eyes to look at the doctor. I am absolutely mortified at the way I was acting. I was completely out of control. I was like a woman possessed. Not a good feeling at all. Anyway, right after the epidural started working, I felt a really strong urge to push. I had made it to a ten! Gee, what perfect timing. There was a part of my uterus that I could still feel during contractions and I started to freak out, thinking that my uterus was going to rupture. I kept telling Dr. Montanaro, "I'm really concerned. I'm really concerned. I'm going to die." He said, "Kelly, stop it. The baby is fine, you are fine. His head is right there! This is what you wanted. So, no crying or screaming! Push!" Well, fine. Butt nugget. I pushed. And after about five contractions, he was out! I couldn't believe how fast he came! Of course, when they come that fast, certain things don't get a chance to stretch. So let's just say I won't be able to sit comfortably for a couple of weeks.
Out came Caiden, perfect little boy. He didn't scream or holler, just kind of whimpered a little bit until they put him on my chest and I held him for the first time. What an amazing experience. They cleaned him up on my chest, cleaned me up and then left us alone as a family for an hour and a half before coming to take him to the nursery and me to my room. It was such a beautiful experience! I was able to nurse him for the first time and he did great! He reminds me so much of Corgan, but looks a lot like his Daddy. He is perfect. What an amazing, awesome, wonderful, fantastic, miraculous experience! I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Let me tell you what. There is no way I could have had a successful VBAC if not for the people I had with me that day. Travis was incredible! Barrie was amazing! My doctor was so supportive and the nursing staff was so sweet. I had such an awesome day. Painful, yes. But worth every minute of it. I am so blessed!
Caiden Bruce Cole
February 23, 2007
5:08 pm
7lbs 13oz
19 1/2 inches long


5 comments:
I am very proud of you! You're my hero!
I LOVED reading your birth story:) I enjoy birth stories so much!!! So glad you got your VBAC!!! YEAH for you! I am sure if you would not have lost control you would not have had to have an epidural at all! But who cares! You did great:) I always say Labor (for me at least) was 99% mental. Kind of like an olympic athlete I would visualize for months before....and I was so in my "zone" I had no idea what was going on around me most of the time! I am so proud of you, and I hope you heal quickly!!!!!
Kelly, Congratulations!
I'm glad you were able to have the VBAC. You did a great job Kelly.
Makes me feel a bit bad for making you laugh... just a bit though. Way to go lil sis!!
Post a Comment