Sunday, January 14, 2007

Confession Number Three....

Since I'm stuck indoors for the next million years due to an impending horrific ice storm that is to blow through the area ANY MINUTE (whatever), I thought, "What better time to confess another sin?" I don't think you know about this one mom....

Here's a little bit of background info.... I went to high school in a very small town, one where everyone knew everyone and was related somehow. Made for interesting dating opportunities. Anyway, you could walk down to the corner store for a soda at ten o'clock at night and your parents wouldn't have to worry about your safety.

After graduating in a class of 42 people, I went from a teeny tiny town to a division one college across the country. I didn't know anyone, nobody really cared to know me, and it was a little weird to say the least. I lived on campus with some great people and we were in our own little "bubble." Needless to say, we were a bit naive...

Well, I am somewhat of a night owl, if you notice the time of my posts on this blog. I started to take to jogging at night. Up the canyon. Alone. By myself. At about eleven o'clock at night. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. I'd tell my roomie that if I wasn't back in a couple of hours, to call the cops, but she was almost always asleep when I got back. She was very concerned for my safety and well being. Bless her heart. (Alisha if you're reading this, just know I love you.)

I did this for several months without any crazy people trying to rape or murder me in the streets, so I thought, "Well, this town is really safe!" The next semester I started dating a guy that lived across campus and I would go to his apartment to hang out since we were poor and neither of us had cars. We would just sit on the couch and bask in the "true love" we had for each other until the wee hours of the morning when I would decide it was probably time for me to go back to my dorm. So, at three o'clock in the morning, my boyfriend would be too tired to walk me across campus to my dorm and would let me walk the mile or so back BY MYSELF. ALL ALONE. Now, there had actually been some instances where women had been attacked in the same area I was walking and had been nicknamed "Rape Hill." I knew this. Butt head boyfriend knew this, but he was "too tired" to escort his eighteen year old girlfriend, "love of his life" back to the safety of her dorm. What a dork. That's ok, I think he's gay anyway.

So let's just say, I am an extremely naive, stupid, stupid girl. Just remembering the things I used to do makes my pitts sweat. Seriously, I think I'm going to have to put on some more Degree. I'm so lucky that nothing ever happened to me, although it would have served me right. WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING?! Please tell me you did something at least as stupid and reckless as this in your life.... PLEASE?!

12 comments:

Amanda said...

SCARY! Isn't it weird that when we are young we think NOTHING can happen to us.....not that I am on the edge of 30 I can say I worry about everything! And yes, I have done stupid things like you but I am not ready to confess them on my blog:) You are brave (and I am glad cause I enjoy reading them:)

Amanda said...

it is supposed to say "now that I am on the edge of 30" I am sure you all got that though!

the MILKY way (Chrissy) said...

No way. Just because you're ready to confess doesn't mean I do. By the way, yeah, that was stupid.

the MILKY way (Chrissy) said...

I just read my post. I didn't make sense. Just because you're ready to confess doesn't mean I'm ready to confess. Anyway, I have done stupid things, too, so just know you're not the only stupid one.

Anonymous said...

Mother here....you are sooooo grounded!!!! I swear, for someone so smart it amazes me some of the stupid things you did (I hope "did" is the right word). And, yes, Chrissy did some things that contributed to the color (or lack thereof) of my hair, too. You need to have a girl!!! My hair wouldn't be nearly as gray if I'd only had boys. Oops! Just thought of some of the things my boys did and, well, never mind...enjoy your hair color while you can...bwa-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I did anything quite that stooopid, because boys don't do stupid things. We have adventurious learning experiences...
When I was 12yrs old, or so,4 of us went to the movies one night and about 11:30 we were supposed to be picked up by a "friend", We sat around outside the theater until 1:30 before we realised we didn't have a ride. We split up and hitchiked home. Bud Mills and I were picked up by a guy who was on the run from the police for failure to pay child support (gasp!). When he pulled into the parking lot at Skips Bar to let us out. Two cops jumped out from the shadows and arrested him. Great fun, we got home after 2am and in the morning told Mom that we got home a little after midnight and that the movie was 'OK'.
Sometime I tell you about when Uncle Gary and I were picked up by a drunk who took us waaay out into the middle of nowhere and 'ran out of gas'.
But no we didn't do anything I would consider 'stupid'.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the things you learn about people reading these blogs.... I have been reading all of these confessions and trying to think of anything that I could confess to. But no luck, I guess my sister did all of the stupid suff that needs a confession.

Anonymous said...

Check your spelling Big Bro.

Mandie said...

You're not alone in the stupid department. I had a boyfriend for six years (all through high school and part of college) and the things I did during those years make up 90% of the stupid things I've done in my life.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've never done anything stupid. Well, come to think of it, I did "accidently" put bleach streaks in my eyebrows when I bleached 2 streaks in my hair...I think I was like 17. I also sat on top of a car while we were going down a highway because it was too hot in the car. Guess that was a little stupid. But nothing else stupid. Wait! I did go running thru summer camp naked on a dare. But that's all the stupid things I can think of.

Love,
Big Brother Michael

P.S. Did I happen to date your ex-boyfriend??? I think I did. That was stupid. ;-)

Anonymous said...

nah I never did anyhting stupid...I used to sneak out a lot and go to partys with my friends and then they would get hammered and I would have no ride home! one summer I was invited to a graduation party and I just had to go because I was the only freshman invited so again all my friends were hammered and I was once again out of a ride so I was offered a ride by this one kid I went to school with...I knew him....or knew OF him and thought okay, hes harmless and his girlfriend is sort of a friend of mine....well, when we were getting close to my street he started to speed up and kept passing it, I was yelling thats my stop! I had that weird feeling in my stomach, you know the one that tells you something isnt right.......he said he would only let me out if I did him a favor....(ick...i'll leave that up to your imaginations) so I started to hyperventilate....now the guy is going like 40 in a 25 so I did the onlt thing I could think of....I jumped out! thank God I fell in a patch of grass but still walked away with cuts and bruises, the neighbor saw me struggling to get out and knew what was going on and it was a little amusing watching him chase the truck down. okay okay, yes I have done stupid things too! next time I wont blog on your blog, ill do my own...LOL!!!!

Charlotta-love said...

Stupid: yes. I think I went on a date with Ted Bundy's relative or something. I was driving home from the gym and my tire blew on the freeway. So I pulled over to change my tire and this guy stops to help me. After we get the tire on, etc, he leans on the car and says, "So, any plans for dinner?" I was so stunned that I couldn't think of an excuse. I asked if I could shower first (since I was coming home from the gym) and GAVE HIM MY ADDRESS TO PICK ME UP!!! He came and I got in the car. I noticed he had the book "The proper care and feeding of husbands" in his car. I asked him why he had it and he said, (no joke) "So when I get married, I can give this to my wife. I have highlighted all the parts that are pertinent to me. In fact read this." He handed me the book and had me read, "Men are easy to understand. If he isn't horny, make him a sandwich." I closed the book and said, "Good thing we are going out to eat." Things didn't improve much after that not to mention that he wouldn't take me home when I asked him to. Creepy, creepy, creepy. Idiot, idiot, idiot!