Travis and I met through some interesting circumstances (the subject of a future blog) in Provo, Utah. On our first date, we found we had a lot to talk about and many things in common. We asked the typical get to know you questions like, where did you grow up, what's your favorite type of food ("what... is your name? what... is your quest? what... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?" ... sorry, had to stick some Monty Python in here).
Anyway, Travis asked me what my favorite music was. This was during a time that N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears and other crappy groups ruled the airways. My response to his question was not, "Oh, I just LOOOOOOOVE 98 Degrees!" Like I think he expected, but instead, out of left field I answer, "I really love the Smashing Pumpkins." To test my knowledge of the group, Travis asked, "Oh, really. What song?" I know he was doubtful. I mean, what nineteen year old girl in Provo, Utah likes a punk band? "I really like the song 'Eye' from the Lost Highways Soundtrack." "OH MY GOSH. You really know who the Smashing Pumpkins are?!" I think that was the moment he knew he had to marry me. You see, Travis LOVES the Smashing Pumpkins. I mean, when they broke up, he cried as he watched their unplugged show on VH1. He has EVERY SINGLE cd they ever released and for Christmas one year I got him an autographed picture of the band. Now the picture is kind of creepy, but he loved it.
That was a moment of great connection between us. Well, for those of you unfamiliar with the Smashing Pumpkins, Billy Corgan is the lead singer of the group. About a year before we even got pregnant with Corgan, we decided what better name for our first child than "Corgan." It sort of symbolizes how we started and is anything if not extremely unique. My poor child will never find his name on those personalized bike plates, but that's OK.
Maybe we should name Caiden Billy instead. Then I could just yell, "Billy... Corgan..." I'd be the COOLEST mom on the block. Or the craziest. Who knows.

See, they're even kind of alike! They both have a tendency to wear really strange things on their head and both love music!

12 comments:
Good story. And Corgan is SO a Corgan. I can't imagine him having any other name!
I am glad I got to hear that story:) I love his name....but NEVER would have known it came about that way!!! Do you have another cool story of how you came up with Caiden??? (Sorry If I mis-spelled that!)
Smashing Pumpkins are AWESOME!
Unfortunately for Caiden, his story is much less interesting.... We wanted an Irish name, like Corgan, that sounded good with Corgan. So Caiden was pretty much the only one we liked! It took us a LOOOONG time to finally come up with Caiden...
What a cool story. So if I marry a guy that likes U2 just as much as me, we can name our kid The Edge.
I am looking forward to our first daughter, Cher. Our first son will probably be named "Streisand" or Jude Garland...would be silly to name him Judy Garland.
Cool story! Love the name Corgan.
I've got a lot of baby name books, and Corgan isn't listed in any of them. That's even cooler.
Sure glad you guys didn't get into TV programs..... naming him Beavis or Butt-Head would make it tough on him.... it would be better to name him Sue........
My mind absolutely reels with witty comments, but I can't top Michael's. Well done.
http://www.personalizedbikeplates.com
You can put Cortan's name on any bike plate you want!
Corgan's name sorry! Too late at night... lots of typo's
corgan is not the only one with the 1st name Corgan, I just found out about somebody who has that name too!! weird huh?
Post a Comment